On the modeling table ....

Incursion – Over the weekend I finally made it out to pick up some miliput (similar to greanstuff but cheaper and not as easy to use). I had run out a few weeks ago an stopped at a model train store to pick some up. They didn't have any but the clerk insisted that squadron putty would do the same thing. Never having used it I picked it up to give it a try. No mixing must be easier right? To be brief and get back to the point, this stuff is crap, it might work great to fill smooth line line on model tanks and what not, but for miniture modeling it's far to soft. The stuff is the consistency of snot and smells like nail polish remover. In short I'm not a fan.

Back to the point having picked up some two part epoxy I spent the weekend sculpting bases for my Incursion models. After looking at all the squares on the gameboard I decided to stick with a simple tile pattern. After mixing up a blob of the epoxy I pressed and smoothed it onto the bases. To eliminate the finger prints I smoothed them over with a bit of water, setting them aside to set up for a minute or two I dug out my scuplting kit. The tools I have are labeled for wax scuplting but they work really great on the epoxy. The key is to keep your tool moist so it doesn't stick and tear (insert life lesson here).

Using the flat edge I carved the basic shape of the tiles into the base. After that I used the flat edge to give some texture to the base. I used a dental pick to add some hairline cracks. After the putty cured I went back in with a blade to add more cracks and chips.

To mount the models I removed the tabs from their feet with a pair of clippers and filed them flat. Using a pin vise I drilled a hole in their feet to insert a brass rod and glue them to the base with Gorilla Super Glue.