Terrain Making – My first personal project of the new year is to get my Bug Hunt Corridors set painted and assembled. This is a major undertaking as I backed this project pretty heavily so I have a ton of little baggies full of burned wood. I started the project putting together all 18 of the straight sections (I held back with three of them as I think I need to get some stairwell parts to make best use of my roof parts and make a complex you can use in regular games as well).
After getting those sections all painted and washed I moved on to the interior door sections. These fit in the middle of the straight sections to separate areas and add another door. Unfortunately unlike the other room sections the creator didn't include a slot in the roof parts to accommodate the door tab. Which means you have to take them out to put the roof on. Not a big deal just a minor thing. These door sections actually pull upward instead of sliding to the side so functionally you pretty much remove them when the door opens anyway.
These followed the same paint process as the sections: Dark Grey Primer, Dark Gray Paint, Light Grey Highlights, Gunmetal grating and vents, Red and Yellow Conduit; followed by an Onyx wash.
After the wash I went in with a fluorescent green paint to fill in the lights. I was still on the fence as to if I should do edge highlighting on everything or not. If I choose to, it's going to add a bunch more work, but I feel I should do this project right from the get go since it's going to be one of my crown jewels of terrain. The nice thing is most of these will dry fit snug so I could theoretically play with them before I glue it
I also began to figure out the railings. In the Aliens movie that this set is based on all the rails have black and yellow hazard markings. I was tempted to skip it as the other finished sets I've seen look fine without them. However I want this to be authentic looking and I feel those stripes really add something to each section. So I'll be painting a baggillion black and yellow stripes. (Call me crazy, you know you want to)
With the straight sections just about done I decided the next piece I needed to work on is the entry point or Airlock if you will. There's was only one included in the set I bought so I might need to get another few to really make it work for 40k (Or design my own thing) but for now I'll make do with what I have. This part is really detailed with lots of fans and other little bits that make it stand out and a cool room. Again for paint I followed the same scheme as the other parts. This piece won't stay together on its own so I have to make my decision about the edge highlights now before I can assemble it. I didn't know that I can be that decisive at this point so let's move on.
I started opening up the roof sections to see how they go together and was happy to see that they can actually be assembled prior to painting. This is going to speed up the process for getting these done significantly. Needing to keep going before I lose momentum I busted out the wood glue and instructions to start roofing.
As with the corridors proper I opted to do all of one style before moving on to the next one. It took me a minute to decipher the instructions (Which were really well done) and sort the pieces. I used Gorilla Wood glue and applied it with a paint brush. This was a really fast process and I quickly got the straight sections assembled. This process was made all the better thanks to the wonderful burned wood smell that emanates from each piece prior to priming. (It reminds me of my grandmother's wood stove in the winter.)
Since I was on a roll I kept going and put together the roofs for the airlock, corner sections and side rooms as well. All of these are incredibly sturdy once glued together so I'm sure this will set is going to hold up well to years of use.
Once I got most of the roof section assembled I went back to the straight sections and did a quick dry brush on them to bring out the detail. I decided edge highlighting everything would take me forever and with terrain drybrushing is faster and makes more sense.